Labels

Cooking (53) Outdoors (32) Travels (44) Updates (36)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Sweet Potato- Cannellini (Veggie) Burgers

Yay for people not minding me experimenting on them. I've seen lots of fun bean-and-sweet potato burgers online recently and I wanted to try making them myself. I decided I wanted a simpler recipe, one that can be baked as opposed to pan-fried, and one that would hold together well. I compiled them all into this burger and gave it a shot. I have to say I'm rather happy with it!

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, baked and peeled
1 can of cannellini beans (15 oz, I believe)
1 heaping tablespoon tahini
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 ounce whole wheat flour
Breadcrumbs (add to create the consistency of your liking. I did not measure what I added...sorry!)
Chili powder, salt, pepper to taste
1/2 egg white and yolk 

Directions: 
In a mixing bowl mash sweet potato and beans. Mix in tahini, syrup, flour, and breadcrumbs to desired consistency. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste. And taste away! I ate so much of the mix I was barely hungry for dinner...so good! Lastly, add the egg. I only used a half of an egg, but I'm sure a full egg wouldn't have hurt. I did add bit more breadcrumbs after adding the egg. 

Grease a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Form patties and, if desired, lightly coat in additional breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 minutes. 

Serve on wheat buns with lettuce, avocado, grilled onion, mayo, dijon mustard and anything else you would prefer.

No comments: