Labels

Cooking (53) Outdoors (32) Travels (44) Updates (36)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese

I absolutely love grilled cheese...when there are lots of other things in it! (See Grown Up Grilled Cheese.) Grilled cheese is easy to make, it's a comfort food, and there is so much one can do with it! 

When J said that he was hungry for lunch I threw this together. This can be made in a panini maker if thicker bread is being used. I made this in a pan on the oven, old school.
Ingredients:
2 slices of whole wheat bread
Dijon mustard
Cheddar cheese (I used shredded to control the amount)
Apples, sliced thinly
Baby spinach
Butter

Directions:
Assemble sandwich: Spread a thin layer of dijon mustard on both slices of bread. Layer a thin amount of cheddar, apples, a little more cheddar, apples, cheddar, spinach, cheddar, and finish with bread.

In the pan heat the butter (I think I used medium to medium high heat on the gas stove). Place sandwich in pan and cook a few minutes, allowing the sandwich to begin to heat through.  I then buttered the top of the sandwich. Flip and cook a few more minutes until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.

I didn't have a chance to try any but J assured me it was great. I can only imagine the salty cheese, buttery bread, sweet-tart apple, and spicy dijon anchored nicely with the spinach.

No comments: