Labels

Cooking (53) Outdoors (32) Travels (44) Updates (36)

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Italy, I - Venice and Burano

Dates: Wednesday, June 6th to Saturday, June 9th
Hotel: Ai do Mori, S. Marco 658, Venice, 30124 // hotelaidomori.com
Visits
Basilica San Marco --- The most famous of the Venetian churches. Even with the long line it is quick to enter (as well as free) though one does need to pay to have access to most everything else in the Basilica.
Palazzo Ducale --- A gothic-style residence of the Doge in Venice, now a museum. My favorite part was the prisoner's level and the Bridge of Sighs. There is a separate tour that goes behind the scenes of the building, exploring its secret passageways, but we were unable to participate at the time we arrived.  
Burano --- An island of colors, colors, lace, and more colors! Beautiful! 
Venetian Labyrinth Tour --- This is from our Lonely Planet guide and explored the Campos of Venice. We loved it!!
Ponte Rialto --- The oldest bridge crossing the Grand Canal. Very recognizable. Very close to the fresh markets and pescaria (fish market), which is worth a visit if one has time in the morning. 
Note: J wishes we could have gone on the Torre del'Orologio (clock tower) tour. It does sound like it would have been quite interesting.
Food
Osteria da Carla --- Corte Contarina, San Marco 1535, Venice --- My mom's pomodoro was fabulous here. J tried a squid ink pasta.
Suco Gelateria --- Walnut and Fig flavor was my favorite.
Marchini Time --- San Marco 4598, Campo San Luca, Venice --- Hands down our favorite breakfast place. We went here every day.
Ostaria al Ponte --- Cannaregio 6378, Calle Larga G Gallina, 30121 Venice --- The three of us stopped here on our Venice Labyrinth tour we were taking courtesy of Lonely Planet. We shared a few small sandwiches, shrimp, and (of course) wine.
Enoiteca Al Prosecco --- S Croce 1503, Campo San Giacomo de l'Orio, 30135 Venice --- We enjoyed some refreshing beverages after finally completely the labyrinth tour! 
Pizza Place (unnamed) --- across from hotel/restaurant Noemi --- This is where we finally found some pizza al taglio (pizza by the slice). Margherita, please!
Trattoria San Zulian --- Sestriere San Marco 523, 30124, Venice (Campo del Guerra) --- We went here after our original option had stopped serving food for the day. The dishes were great, the wine was tasty, and we spent hours laughing and chatting here. We even made two new friends from Austraila (who we would later see again in Riomaggiore (of the Cinque Terre).
Principe --- San Marco 455, Burano --- We visited this establishment for a light lunch and to try a Campari (Jeremy) and Aperol (me) Spritz. THE Venetian thing to do. I enjoyed the Spritz in San Gimignano more. The food was also good (we had a pizza and spaghetti carbonara). The Carbonara was heavier than the Carbonara we would have in Rome.
Enoteca Al Volto --- Calle Cavalli 4081, Venice --- Possibly our favorite dinner place while we were there. I will have to edit this blog and post pictures of the dinner. I had a truffle pasta, my mom had tuna with balsamic glaze drizzled over it, and J had the sea bass with, as he describes it, "awesomeness." This is also were we tried a cafe coretto, which is espresso with grappa. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Grappa is an interesting, strong liquor made from the remains of the wine making process.
 
The canals of Venice!
J enjoying the espresso and pastries.
My mom surveying Venice.
J and I at one of the canals.
One of the many gardened windows.
A statue along the Venetian coast.
Lamp post as the sun sets.
The Grand Canal at night.
J and I stumbled upon a military something in a Piazza San Marco.
A busy morning at the pescaria (fish market).
Dried goods at the market.
Fresh goods at the Venetian market.
The beautiful Burano.
J and I as we arrived in Burano.
Looking down one of the colorfully painted Burano canals.
It's a gorgeous island.
My beautiful mom. :)
Burano lace scarves.
Fresh flowers on a windowsill. I found these colors just like this; I did not arrange it. It made me happy.
J and his purple.
My mom with her favorite color: green.
Me. :)
I really love this guy (and this place!)
Another vibrant street and boats.
Boat detail.
I enjoy the reflection of the pink houses in the water fountain.
J enjoying the cool water.
Pink, pink, pink!
More color in Burano.
My last Burano picture, I promise.
St. Mark's Campanile, Piazza San Marco
Piazza San Marco
Basilica di San Marco.

No comments: