Labels

Cooking (53) Outdoors (32) Travels (44) Updates (36)

Monday, June 27, 2011

Foil Wrapped Baked Salmon with Orange, Soy, and Scallions

I messed up a bit with the recipe entry. I didn't mess up the recipe, but I forgot to take a picture. Luckily, it was adapted From a recipe book that had gorgeous photography so that's the picture I posted.

This recipe was adapted from Take 5 Ingredients by James Tanner.
The major changes:
1) I did not use the red chilies he suggested (bird's eye). His recipe is modeled after a Thai dish. I couldn't find the chile's so I substituted jalapeno. Not the same kind of heat, but I like flavorful, but milder dishes anyway, so I used one de-seeded jalapeno.
2) I also did not cook the fish in the same manner as the book. The author baked them in foil in a pan on top of the stove, while I baked them in the foil but in the oven. 

I served this dish on brown rice, seasoned asparagus, and a fresh green side salad. Blackberry cobbler was for dessert.


Imagine those fun red peppers as fun green peppers.
 The adapted recipe:

The juice of 6 oranges
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 chili pepper, finely chopped (I used a de-seeded jalapeno)
6 scallions trimmed and slices
4 fillets of salmon, skin-on (I used beautiful wild-caught sock-eye salmon...J picked it out for us! Just be careful of the little pin bones)
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425. In a bowl mix together the oranges, soy sauce, chili, and scallions.
Prep little aluminum foil packets for the four fillets. I used bowls to help with this process by placing my foil in the bowl to create a foil base that I could eventually close in a tent-shape and seal.
In each foil bowl, place one of the fillets. Salt and pepper as desired. Pour a quarter of the juiced orange mixture on each fish in its foil bowl. Close and seal the foil for each fish to create a foil packet. Place in a glass baking dish and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes. when done cooking fish will have a bright color and you will be able to use a fork to pull apart and flake the fish.

Bon appetit!

No comments: